RUNNING AFTER OTHERS


Yesterday I took Apprentice Man to Hull so that he could represent the County in an Athletics Tournament. It was a 160 mile round trip and effectively took up the whole of my Saturday. Fortunately he maintained his county standard and everyone was happy.

It reminded me however of all those instances when clients describe with regret how they put themselves out over the years for their partner, only to find that he or she leaves them for another.

During the day I had plenty of time to ponder and daydream. I wonder, come the Olympic Games in 2012, should Apprentice Man find himself running in London will he secure a ticket for his girlfriend rather than his mother? If so, will I remember with indignation the fact that it was me who got up early to drive him all that distance to Humberside; sat on a hard seat for 4 hours wrapped in a fleece and cagoule to protect me from the constant and heavy rain showers; that he was lousy at navigating causing us to miss the correct turn on more than one occasion; that the moment we got home, he was straight out again with his friends, leaving his kit on the floor for me to wash?

Whilst few would say they expect a material return for investing time in their loved ones, many would nonetheless feel embittered if that investment is not reciprocated. In matters of relationships, whilst we may live for the moment enjoying what we have and what we do, equally even the most altruistic person might feel cheated if ultimately there is no gift of reciprocity and they are abandoned.

Comments

Electra said…
Hi, Judith,
I'm new to blogspot, but I wanted to share my own blog of a similar nature with you...my link is:

http://www.mourningjourney.blogspot.com

Hope you'll check it out, and I'll follow you as well.

Best,
Cate
Judith in a lot of ways, marriage is an investment. The spouses are investing in their lives and investing in each other. It makes logical sense that the non-cheating spouse would feel used.
sucks to be the non-cheater - just a horrible feeling :(

Popular Posts