A LAUNDERER'S TALE


Well what an exciting evening I’m having: a committee meeting, half an hour of television and now I’ve just finished sorting socks. Yes, socks – straight out of the washing machine and dryer.

Putting them into pairs, I couldn’t help but notice how they seemed to mirror human relationships.

There were the nearly-new twosomes that some proud housewives probably put into the washing machine bound together with those little clips I’ve seen in magazines, so they always emerge in pairs. There were also some brightly coloured reds and greens; I couldn’t find the matching ones so I rolled them together anyway, on the basis that opposites attract.

A few years ago I resolved only ever to buy Apprentice Man one colour and design of sock. Hence as I pulled a dozen or so out together, they were easy enough to match up, though some looked a little worn or ragged compared to their partner and I’m sure one or two are shrinking.

The frustrating part however was when I was left with a pile of unique and solitary patterned items. Why is it that they go into my machines in pairs and innumerable tumbles later emerge as divorced items, their other half never to be seen again? Mind that may be better than the adventurous ones I find paired up with pillow cases or other unsuitable textiles; stick to your own kind – not those. You put them into the wash with their mate of several years and they go off with your old woollen jumper.

I have a friend who puts her socks into a net bag to wash them. That way they can never elope; a little like locking up your daughters for their own well being, I suppose. Maybe it’s got to be that or else knitted tights from now on!

Comments

Anonymous said…
A Memoir by the Author of the ASK AMY Advice Column from Hyperion Books!

Hello!

“We are not our best intentions. We are what we do…. I had to build something out of what was left. Emily and I were two dots, connected by a thread. I decided that whatever strange shape or structure our family assumed—it would never feel broken."
--An excerpt from THE MIGHTY QUEENS OF FREEVILLE

The book is THE MIGHTY QUEENS OF FREEVILLE: A MOTHER, A DAUGHTER, AND THE PEOPLE WHO RAISED THEM, the highly-anticipated memoir from the author of the syndicated advice column Ask Amy and frequent NPR contributor, Amy Dickinson.

In this February 2009 release, Amy tells the tumultuous and often heartwarming story of her divorce and of raising her daughter, Emily, in her small hometown of Freeville, New York. With the help of the wonderful women of her family, whom she has dubbed the “Mighty Queens of Freeville,” Amy is working to establish a new life for herself and her young child; it's about life and the importance of love, family, and friendships. THE MIGHTY QUEENS OF FREEVILLE is the perfect book for anyone who has been touched by a personal relationship tragedy or risen to the occasion and become a mighty queen for a friend.

We would love to work with your site on this publication. If you are interested in receiving a review copy of THE MIGHTY QUEENS OF FREEVILLE, please email me at Molly.K.Frandson.-ND@abc.com with your mailing address so I can send the book your way! In addition, we have an exclusive essay that Amy wrote expressly for blogs dealing with the issues of single parenthood and starting over. If you would like a copy, I will include one in the mailing, and you may feel free to post it onto your site.

I look forward to your comments and reviews.

All the best,

Molly Kay Frandson

Hyperion Books
114 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10011

Please visit this site for more information on the book:
http://hyperionbooks.com
Andrea Tobin said…
What an exciting life your foot accessories lead!!!!

Popular Posts