THE FOURTEEN DEADLY SINS

The seven deadly sins are: pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed and sloth. These are all known to divorce lawyers as the basis for drafting divorce petitions on either adultery or unreasonable behaviour. The Vatican has, however, now added to the list with seven new mortal sins, namely: environmental pollution, genetic manipulation, accumulating excessive wealth, inflicting poverty, drug trafficking and consumption, morally debatable experiments and the violation of fundamental human rights. I can’t wait to draft my first “green” petition for say fly-tipping by a multi millionaire.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry to be pedantic Judith but, if I remember my catechism correctly, a mortal sin is when you break one of the Ten Commandments. Anything else is a venal sin, including the deadly ones (I have no idea why a mortal sin and a deadly sin are different - ask the Vatican). The difference being that the Ten Commandments came directly from God, via Moses, whereas everything else was designed by men.
I'm sure someone else will correct me if this is wrong.
By the way - how come no-one is half as interested in the seven heavenly virtues as they are in the deadly sins?
Judith said…
A bit deep for me I'm afraid bentonbag but Wikipedia attempts to define the differences at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_sin
Strangely not many of my clients ever want to tell me about the heavenly virtues exhibited by their spouse!

Popular Posts