DIVORCE EXHIBITS



I returned from holiday in Malaysia yesterday after a long haul flight with KLM. At some point mid-air, my attention was drawn to an article in the in-flight magazine, Holland Herald, referring to the Museum of Broken Relationships in Zagreb. A quick check of the website on my return would suggest that this must be a Mecca for divorcees and their lawyers everywhere. Apparently it “offers a chance to overcome an emotional collapse through creation: by contributing to the museum’s collection.” That collection, according to KLM’s magazine, includes such items as a damaged garden gnome that one spouse hurled through a car windscreen and an axe that another man used to chop up his girlfriend’s possessions when she terminated their relationship.



The museum has recently been given an award for innovation and, if all of that wasn’t enough to entice you to visit, has a cafĂ© where visitors have a chance to pull themselves together “after an emotional whirlwind caused by the exhibition.”



Even better the museum will apparently be exhibiting at the National Centre for Craft and Design in Sleaford, Lincolnshire from January 28th until April of this year. Of course if it doesn’t take your fancy, you can always try the V&A or, my own favourite, the National History Museum.





Comments

NetConstruct said…
I am genuinely unconfortable with facebook inviting you to decleare your marital status, what ever happened to privacy?
Interesting. How does this museum get all the stuff. I agree with the earlier comment that facebook should not have it, but people choose to include it.
I love the damaged gnome and ax exhibits! :) ... very innovative!
Unknown said…
I would donate the phone where I received the text message that my husband of 16 years sent to end the marriage, except I already donated it to help children with speech deficits. Figure that phone has got to do some good!
http://lessonsfromtheendofamarriage.com

Popular Posts