Tuesday, 2 February 2010

THE LONG ROAD TO RECOVERY


When undergoing the trauma of marriage or relationship breakdown counselling is often a sensible option to help cope with the trauma and its effect on one’s emotional well-being. Lack of confidence and poor self esteem are not uncommon, especially after an abusive relationship. When a marital bond disintegrates, identity and self worth stemming from it disintegrate too and depression can set in. Some hardy souls pick up the pieces and get on with things. For many the transition back to a feeling of normality can take much longer and support is needed.

For those who decide that counselling is the proper option for them the problem can be finding the right counsellor. There are apparently no laws in the UK that govern counselling, and whilst there are qualifications and professional bodies, these can often be confusing and overwhelming. Counselling can take many different approaches, from person-based to psychoanalytic, and it’s important to choose a counsellor with an approach you will be comfortable with and respond to well. So how on earth do you find a counsellor to fit your situation?

I have recently been referred to Counselling Directory and it appears to be a simpleway of connecting people that need help with the people that provide it. A comprehensive search tool allows postcode, town and country searches, and produces a list of counsellors registered in this area. Each counsellor has a profile about themselves and the site shows which counsellors are registered/accredited with a professional body. Importantly I understand that full profiles are only displayed after insurance and qualification documents are checked or membership with a professional body has been verified.

There are also articles on the site written by the counsellors, as well as comprehensive information on all kinds of distress: from depression to eating disorders, to help people identify their problems and become informed, not scared.

3 comments:

Brian Daniel said...

A NEW Positive Divorce Recovery Book for Your Clients
and Website Visitors

I know that you may prefer your own materials for your website here, but if it is OK for me to pitch my book here too, I would really appreciate a chance here, and THANKS for that!

I was hoping you might have some interest in my book too as another source of help. I can offer you affiliate sales through my website and Pay Pal account and can return an extra discount to you and your members in addition to my own website offer below.

I have just published a book on divorce recovery called "Yes, There Is an Upside of Divorce, It Can Be Your Second Chance at Life!" You can search "upside of divorce" on Amazon and read the great reviews I have there. One of my top 5-Star ratings is from Tracy, who is the owner of a national web support group called Woman’s Divorce (com) and has used parts of my chapters for her members going through divorce.

My book discusses my own divorce and helps my readers get through the most common and difficult downsides so that they can then “see” the many more UPSIDES there are in their divorce or separation. My book spends most of its chapters on the positive ways to move on to a happier and more enjoyable rest-of-life.

I have sold over a hundred copies locally and received the same great feedback, including a many or so to various divorce recovery websites, group workshops and libraries.

I am hoping you may want to buy some copies too to provide some other good help and support to your divorced members of your website. And perhaps they may want to buy their own copy as well.

For just $12 or so, my book could be another reference book or a gift of help from you to your website members and other family and friends suffering through their divorce or separation. I’m sure most, if not all of them, will find some good help in my book.
Book Discounts are available on my own website, Self-Help-Products-and-Services (com) where you can save $2 to $5 off Amazon’s costs per book.

If there are other people you think I should contact or those who may want to contact me, please let me know.

Again, Thanks for a chance here to help someone. Sincerely, Brian Daniel

http://www.Self-Help-Products-and-Services.com
Email: james@self-help-products-and-services.com

Neil said...

I think this is an important post. Many divorce and family law practitioners are now realising that we act as gatekeepers not only to legal remedies but to a wider support arena.

That arena, I am trying not to call it a marketplace but essentially that is what it is, is populated with counsellors, coaches, therapists and the like.

I rarely meet with a new client without asking them what support they have got for themselves. At the very least I recommend speaking to their GP, almost as a matter of course, so that they can be on the look out for stress and depression. This is often a good, "safe" way of broaching possible referrals to other support profiessionals.

Carol Round said...

This article, along with others you have written on divorce, are very helpful to those who are going through one. I found that keeping a spiritual journal helped me to get through the pain after my 28-year marriage ended. I married too young, at 19, but stayed with him until the kids were grown. I didn't know any better. However, my faith has grown since I started journaling and learned to let go of the bitterness and anger. I have also written a book to help others through spiritual journaling.

Keep up the good work!
Carol Round
www.carolaround.com