CULINARY DELIGHTS


In what is frequently referred to as God’s Own Country, it is not surprising that food plays an important part in Keralan culture. Whilst there we were treated to dosais (pancakes made from rice and lentils), idlis (steamed rice cakes) and vadais (fried doughnuts made from lentils), bhajis and pakoras as well as curry and freshwater fish, seasoned with tamarind for taste. With an abundance of coconuts, pineapples and bananas not only are monkeys and elephants well-fed but even Little Girl managed to find enough to eat without resorting to the more heavily spiced curries favoured by Outdoor and Apprentice Men.

It was not surprising, therefore, that when I dipped into Bollywood Movies, I came across the following culinary linked expressions in the English sub-titles:
“Gruel, chutney and sprouted lentils for you!”
“I won’t let his lentils cook in Kerala.”

If I understood the meaning correctly then I think that they could be readily translated into gourmet divorce English as:
“I’m not cooking for you any more. Instead you can live on porridge made with water; pickled onions and seed potatoes!”
“I’m not letting him cook toast and warm his slippers at my fireside again.”

Of course feel free to leave your own translations by way of comment should you wish.

Comments

Popular Posts